Summer Reading Fun for 2015
Every Hero Has a Story (Kids) | Unmask! (Teens) |
Escape the Ordinary (Adults)
Registration begins Monday, June 22, 2015
July 2015 Calendar of Events (coming soon)
Every Hero Has a Story
– Children’s Summer Reading
Open to any child birth to entering 5th Grade.
Registration begins Monday, June 22 at the Library!
All books read or read to – paper, ebooks and audiobooks – can be counted toward your reading time. There’s more – continue to visit the library all summer long for fun programs and books to read. You can keep earning raffle tickets for a chance to win one of our 10 grand prize raffle baskets!
Earn a raffle ticket every time you check out books or attend a program! Tell us how many total hours you read this summer during the first week of August for an additional 10 tickets!
Wednesday Night Family Programs
in 2nd Floor Community Room:
- Philadelphia Zoo “Radical Rainforest” – Wed., June 24 at 7 pm
- Superhero Cape Making Party – Wed., July 1. Drop-in from 1-3 pm. Registration required.
- Two of a Kind sing-along show “Hanging Out with Heroes at the Library” – Wed., July 8 at 7 pm
- Briar Bush Starlab “Heroes of the Sky” – Wed., July 15. Held in four 30-minute sessions starting at 6 pm. Registration required.
- Reading Rocks Magic Show with Joe Holiday – Wed., July 22 at 7 pm
- Firefighter Storytime and FIRE HOUSE FIELD TRIP and tour with local firefighting heroes from the Huntingdon Valley Fire Company – Wed., July 29 at 7 pm
- Franklin Institute’s “Heroes of Flight” – Wed., August 5 at 7 pm
- Superhero Summer Reading Closing Party with a Superhero Training Camp. – Wed., Aug. 12 at 7 pm
Preschool Storytime with Miss Glynnis –
- Stories, songs and crafts for 3, 4 & 5 year-olds
- Mondays at 10:30 am in the 1st floor multi-purpose room
- June 22 and 29
- July 6, 13, 20, and 27
- August 3 and 10
Toddler Storytime with Miss Diane –
- Stories and music for 1 & 2 year-olds
- Tuesdays at 10:30 am in the 1st floor multi-purpose room
- June 23 and 30
- July 7, 14, 21 and 28
- August 4 and 11
Craft a Connection Book Club with Miss Glynnis –
- Please Register to assist with planning
- Open to students entering 3rd, 4th and 5th grades
- Tuesday, June 30 at 7 pm – El Deafo by CeCe Bell
– The first 12 children to register will receive a copy of the book to keep!
- Tuesday, July 21 at 7 pm – Who Could That Be at This Hour? by Lemony Snicket
Tuesday Crafternoons – New!
- Drop in at the children’s department every Tuesday this summer from 1:30 pm to 3:30 pm for arts and crafts.
- All ages are welcome!
Super Brain Guessing Jar – New!
- Use your x-ray vision to take a guess at our guessing jar each week in the children’s department.
Superhero Science: Hands-On Experiments with Miss Diane
- Students entering 1st to 3rd grades.
- Registration is required.
- Limit 2 classes per student, wait list for other classes.
- Thursday, July 9 from 3:00 pm to 4:00 pm
– Magnetic Magicians: Magnetism
- Thursday, July 16 from 3:00 pm to 4:00 pm
– Weather Watchers: Meteorology
- Thursday, July 23 from 3:00 pm to 4:00 pm
– Shape Shifters: Metamorphosis
- Thursday, July 30 from 3:00 pm to 4:00 pm
– Fantastic Flyers: Aerospace
Friday Family Movies
- Every Friday at 11:30 am
- Free movie in the 2nd Floor Community Room – bring a bagged lunch and enjoy the show!
- Friday, June 26 – Planes: Fire & Rescue (1 hr. 23 min.)
- Friday, July 3 – The Lego Movie (1 hr. 41 min.)
- Friday, July 10 – Paddington (1 hr. 35 min.)
- Friday, July 17 – Big Hero 6 (1 hr. 42 min.)
- Friday, July 24 – Penguins of Madagascar (1 hr 32 min.)
- Friday, July 31 – Strange Magic (1 hr. 39 min.)
- Friday, Aug 7 – The Land Before Time (1 hr. 29 min.)
- Friday, Aug. 14 – Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good Very Bad Day (1 hr. 21 min.)
- Friday, Aug. 21 – The Lion King (1 hr. 29 min.)
- Friday, Aug. 28 – Charlotte’s Web (1 hr. 34 min.)
Summer Reading Programs sponsored by Friends of Huntingdon Valley Library.
Special Thanks to Dairy Queen of Bethayers, Bertucci’s Restaurant and Lee’s Hoagie House.
– Teen Summer Reading
Teens entering 6th through 12th grade can register for the Teen Summer Reading Program beginning June 22.
All books—paper, e-books, and audio books—can be counted toward your summer reading goal. They do not have to be library books. Keep track of how long you read on the Teen Time Log. For each hour you read, earn a chance to win a Teen Raffle Basket at the August 6 Wrap-Up Party or a $15 iTunes gift card in the weekly drawings. Read all summer long – we have extra Time Logs!
You can also earn additional raffle tickets by:
- Checking out books at the circulation desk
- Attending teen programs
- Completing book reviews
- Thursday, June 18 @ 6:30 pm – Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief Book #1 versus Movie #1
- Thursday, June 25 @ 6:30 pm – Teen Author Jordan Sonnenblick.
1st 20 Teens registered get a free book!
- Thursday, July 2 @ 6:30 pm – X-BOX Game Night. Challenge your friends!
- Thursday, July 9 @ 6:30 pm – No-Sew T-Shirt Craft. Bring your own t-shirt to redesign.
- Thursday, July 16 @ 6:30 pm – Button-Making Craft. Create buttons from magazines and more.
- Thursday, July 23 @ 6:30 pm – Rain Reign Book Discussion.
1st 10 Teens registered get a free copy!
- Thursday, July 30 @ 6:30 pm – Unmask Your Creativity: Pottery Event. Registration required.
- Thursday, August 6 @ 6:30 pm – Tie-Dye Event! Teen Summer Reading Wrap-Up Party!
Teen Summer Reading is sponsored by Huntingdon Valley Bank.
Jordan Sonnenblick is appearing courtesy of the MontCo Public Libraries.
Escape the Ordinary
– Adult Summer Reading
“Escape the Ordinary” is the theme of the 2015 Adult Summer Reading Program. To participate, simply register at the library and start reading! As you finish a book, let us know by giving the book a rating of one to five ‘pows!’ You can write a short review, if you want to share your thoughts with fellow readers. We will make bookmarks out of the reviews!
2015 Adult Summer Reading Flyer with Info and Programs
Earn chances to win a raffle basket!
Each Escape the Ordinary Book Review turned in earns you a chance to win a raffle drawing. Drawings will be August 12 at the Every Hero Has a Story Wrap Up Party.
Open to anyone 18 and older. Earn a chance to win by registering, another for each book review submitted, and earn a ticket for attending the Adult Summer Reading programs listed below:
- Sports Talk with Rob Charry – Tue, June 30 at 7 pm, 2nd Floor Community Room. Help us kick off Adult Summer Reading and “Escape the Ordinary” with 94 WIP SportsRadio’s Rob Charry! Open to all!
- Discovering the Impressionists: Paul Durand-Ruel and the New Painting. We will learn more about this Exhibit from a Docent from the Philadelphia Museum of Art – TBD.
Uncover the untold story of Monet, Renoir, Manet, Degas, Pissarro, and their visionary art dealer and champion, Paul Durand-Ruel. Exhibit runs from June 24, 2015 – September 13, 2015.
- Front Row Seat to History with Ed Eisen – Thu, July 16 at 7 pm, 2nd Floor Community Room. In a 52-year media career, journalist/author Ed Eisen has met, interviewed or represented these local, national or international figures on the world stage: CBS Anchor Walter Cronkite, President Gerald Ford, Mother Teresa, Comic Jackie Gleason, World boxing champ Joe Frazier, Princess Grace Kelly and many more. Ed is also the author of the e-book “Soul for Sale: Confessions of a Philadelphia Spin Doctor” and taught broadcast news journalist at Temple University. Open to all!
- Escape Artist! Paint with Kathleen –Tue, July 21 at 7 pm, 1st Floor Meeting Room. With artistic staffer Kathleen, you can Escape the Ordinary this summer through art! She will guide you in creating your own painting to take home. Suggested donation of $15 for supplies. Sign up at the Circulation Desk.
- Olive Oil Tasting Fundraiser – Tue, July 28 at 6:30 pm at Olive Lucy Fine Olive Oils and Vinegar Store. Celebrate the end of Summer Reading with a Tasting Event at the store at Valley Court Yard, 2531 Huntingdon Pike. Tickets are $10 with delicious pairings provided by Olive Lucy’s expert staff. Sign up at the Circulation Desk.
Friday Movies – Continues through the summer every Friday afternoon at 2:00 pm in the 2nd Floor Community Room.
Brain Teasers – Ask about the weekly Brain Teaser! We have a crossword, matching games, quizzes and more! A completed Brain Teaser also wins a chance at the raffle!
COPYRIGHT NOTICE: CSLP art/graphics are copyrighted by Upstart for exclusive use by CSLP members are are used by permission. Copying or reproducing these CSLP art/graphics in any way by non-CSLP members is prohibited. For more information, visit www.cslpreads.org.