Deadline for Entries:
Saturday, October 24 at 5 pm
Contest Winners Notified:
Friday, November 20
Young Authors Gala:
Thursday, December 3 at 7 pm in the Community Room. Join us as we celebrate the Contest’s Silver Anniversary!
W & I Contest Handout in PDF – includes criteria for judging
- Open to students in grades K through 6 who patronize the Huntingdon Valley Library.
- Participants can write a story by themselves or with a friend(s) in the same grade.
One entry per student.
- Entries must be original. The story can be on any subject.
- Use 8 ½ x 11 paper only. It may be typed or hand-written. Please number the pages.
- For binding purposes, please leave at least a 1 ½ inch margin on both sides of each page, including the cover. Do not use staples.
- Use non-smear markers or crayons for illustrations. Internet generated pictures are NOT encouraged. Original illustrations may be eligible for a separate award.
- Include a title page with the title of the story, author/illustrator’s name, age, grade and school. On a second page, entries MUST include:
This information is for library use only.
- All the qualities of good writing (grammar, spelling, punctuation and sentence structure) are important.
- First, Second, Third and Honorable Mention winners may be chosen in each grade.
- Awards will be given for:
- Best Story (Plot)
- Most Creative (referring to format and hand drawn illustrations)
- First Place winning entries will be bound and entered into Huntingdon Valley Library’s permanent collection and added to the County database.
- First place winners will receive a bound copy of their entry.
- First, Second, Third and Honorable Mention winners will receive a prize and a Certificate of Recognition.
Additional copies of bound books may be ordered. Copying of the text and cover to be bound will be the responsibility of the writer. The cost per copy is $20.00.
Good Luck Distinguished Authors!