Activities and Events for February 2015
Flip through our Gallery of Flyers below to see all the great programs we have scheduled for February, starting with “Romance and Recipes” with author Dana Bate on February 3 at 6:30 pm.
February Events for Adults:
- Tuesday, February 3 at 6:30 pm in the multipurpose room – Romance and Recipes! Join us for a discussion with local author Dana Bate. She’s the author of “The Girls’ Guide to Love and Supper Clubs” and “A Second Bite at the Apple.” She’ll speak about her writing process and leave plenty of time for questions. Find out more at Dana’s site: http://danabate.com/
- Thursday, February 5 at 1:30 pm in the multipurpose room – Bryn Athyn Historic District program sponsored by the Friends of Huntingdon Valley Library. The Bryn Athyn Historic District includes three family residences—father John Pitcairn’s Beaux-Arts mansion, Cairnwood, and sons Harold and Raymond’s residences, Cairncrest and Glencairn, respectively—and the renowned Bryn Athyn Cathedral. All were constructed between 1892 and 1938. This program is free and open to the public. Would you like to join the Friends of Huntingdon Valley Library? Find out more at the business meeting at 12:30 pm, prior to the program.
- Thursday, February 12 at 7 pm in the multipurpose room – Board of Trustees Annual Meeting. Open to the public.
- Wednesday, February 25 at 7 pm in the 2nd Floor Community Room – Samuel D. Burris Speaks. Meet a conductor of the Underground Railroad featuring Joseph Becton. In this educational and interpretive program, presenter Joseph Becton appears in 19th century garb as Samuel D. Burris, a free African American who helped many escape slavery through the Underground Railroad. This presentation is a program of the Pennsylvania Humanities Council supported in part by National Endowment for the Humanities. Program is free and open to all. Please RSVP by calling 215-947-5138 (minimum audience of 25).
- Every Wednesday morning at 10:30 am we have a drop-in yoga class with Theresa Landolfi for $7, a free Sit N Knit group meets every Monday at 4 pm and anyone can come see a free movie every Friday at 2 pm!
February Events for Kids and Families:
- Storytimes on Mondays at 10:30 am with Miss Jessica and Toddler storytimes on Tuesdays at 10:30 am with Miss Diane.
- Yoga and Music Fusion with Children’s Music Express. The first class will be Tuesday, February 3 from 4:30 to 5:30 pm. This is a 60-minute family style class tailored to accommodate grown-ups and their children. Families will experience and learn the magic of yoga and mindfulness through the wonderful world of music and movement. Geared for ages 3-5, but older siblings welcome! Registration is required, so call 215-947-5138 to sign up for this first session.
- Winter Pajama Storytime on Wednesday, February 4 at 6:00 pm. Come to the library in your pajamas for storytime with Miss Diane! All ages welcome. Registration is not required.
- Rescheduled – Eyes if the Wild on Wednesday, February 11 at 6:30 pm in the 2nd Floor Community Room. Join Travis Gale of Eyes of the Wild and his Traveling Zoo. Travis will bring exotic animals from around the world that will amaze you.
- Family Movie Night on Thursday, February 12 at 5 pm. Join us for a free meal-time movie, “The Book of Life.” This film runs 1 hr. 35 min. and is rated PG. Bring your dinner and enjoy the show! All are welcome.
• Craft a Connection Book Club on Tuesday, February 17 at 7 pm. The title for February is Lunch Money by Andrew Clements. We will be discussing the book and creating a craft that goes along with the story. Copies of the book are available at the circulation desk. Book Club is open to girls and boys in 3rd – 5th grade and registration is required.
• Mike Rose presents “Winter Wonders” on Thursday, February 19 at 6:30 pm in the 2nd Floor Community Room. Magician Mike Rose, our most popular Summer Reading performer, will delight the audience with impossible magic tricks and off the wall comedy all themed around winter. All welcome.
• Family Board Game Night with a Hot Chocolate Bar on Thursday, February 26 at 6:30 pm in the 2nd Floor Community Room. Join us for a fun-filled family board game night! We will have an assortment of games available, but you can bring your favorite from home. RSVP requested.