Friends of Huntingdon Valley Library
Silent Auction – Look, Bid and Win!
Every month, the Friends look through their donations and pull a handful of books to sell at their Silent Auction. After a few false-starts, we took Debbie’s suggestion and created a new display space for the Silent Auction near the New Books section.
This ongoing fundraiser nets approximately $600 a year, which helps fund the Wish List – an annual list of projects, programs, and collection needs determined by the Library and funded by the Friends.
So far in 2014, this support has allowed us to create a new English as a Second Language collection, infuse best-selling paperback books, add new eBooks to OverDrive, add audiobooks and music CDs, support our Large Print collection, and most important – made Summer Reading possible!
In 2013, the Friends provided the Library $35,571 in support! We enhanced the Children’s Department, added to the Genre Fiction sections (Fantasy, Mystery and Science Fiction), added Playaway Audiobooks and started a new collection of Playaway View digital video players for the Children’s Department…to name just a few.
Other active Fundraisers:
- New York City Bus Trip – Wed., Oct. 15. Drop off at TKTS Booths at Times Square. Only $35 for a wonderful fall day in New York City!
- Mah Jongg on Mondays and Canasta on Tuesdays
- Election Day Bake Sale
- Basket of Books and Prizes raffle. New this year will be a basket just for Kids!
To Join the Friends, stop by and pick up a Newsletter and membership envelop. Dues are just $10 per calendar year. Friends members are able to check out museum passes, attend the monthly membership meetings, and support the Huntingdon Valley Library through volunteer opportunities, fundraisers, and as advocates of the Library in the community. Learn more about the Friends and read the 2014 Newsletter.
To participate in this fundraiser:
- Record your name and contact information on the slips provided
- Put it in the jar provided.
- Look through the books and find the number of the one(s) you want to bid on.
- Record your bid on the clip-board.
- Check back throughout the month to see if you need to increase your bid.
- If you win, you will be called by the Friends.
- Come to the Circulation Desk to pay for your book (exact change is appreciated)
- Take it home to enjoy!