Mondays at 10:30 am
Starting Nov 18
Appropriate for children ages 3 to 5 years old
Flyer: Preschool Storytime Flyer
Join us for books, songs, finger plays and a craft!
Library Storytimes promote these six pre-reading skills:
- Print Motivation – thinking that books and reading are fun
- Vocabulary – knowing the names of things
- Print Awareness – recognizing print and understanding how books work
- Letter Knowledge – understanding that each letter has its own name and sounds
- Narrative Skills – being able to tell stories and describe things
- Phonological Awareness – being able to recognize and play with the smaller sounds that make up words
Thank you to Judy MacLean and her paper “Library Preschool Storytimes: Developing early literacy skills in children” for this overview. For more about early literacy, visit the American Library Association’s Every Child Ready to Read Web site or Johnson County Library’s Six by Six site.