60th Anniversary Brunch
Sunday, January 5, 2014
Philmont Country Club
$25 per person, includes for each household, a complimentary copy of
When They Were Boys!
Call today to reserve your spot, less than 30 seats are left! RSVP at 215-947-5138 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brunch includes: Fresh Tomato and Orange Juice, Assorted muffins, bagels and croissants, assorted mini danish, cream cheese, butter and jelly, hashbrowns, cinnamon Challah french toast, cheese blintzes, seasonal fresh fruit and assorted berries and coffee, decaf coffee and tea. We we also will have an Omelet bar.
Corporate sponsorship opportunities are available, please contact Sharon at the Library (215-947-5138 or email@example.com) for more information.
Larry Kane to Speak at Huntingdon Valley Library’s 60-Year Celebration Brunch
Sixty years ago, gasoline cost 29 cents a gallon, and the average cost of a new car was $1,850.
The classic book by Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451, was published, and also the equally bestselling, The Crucible, by Arthur Miller. The Huntingdon Valley Library opened its doors that same year, 1953.
To celebrate 60 years of service and to thank the community for its patronage and support, the Huntingdon Valley Library is having a special buffet brunch on January 5, 2014, from 11:30 am to 2:30 pm at the Philmont Country Club, 301 Tomlinson Rd, Huntingdon Valley, PA. “We are excited to celebrate both the Library and the Community in January and invite our friends and neighbors to join us,” said Sharon Moreland-Sender, Library Director.
Larry Kane will be the featured guest at the anniversary brunch. During his successful 52-year media career, Kane has covered domestic and world events. He is known as the “dean of Philadelphia television news anchors,” and is the only anchor to have worked at all three network-owned stations in the region. Currently, Kane is the host of the “Voice of Reason” on the Comcast Network, and also a special contributor with commentary and analysis for KYW Newsradio, as well as an occasional writer for The Philadelphia Inquirer.
2014 also marks the 50th anniversary of the Beatles’ American invasion. In 1964, Kane was a 21-year-old news director of Miami’s WFUN radio in 1964, when he became an embedded reporter on tour with the Beatles. He was the only American reporter to have traveled with the Beatles on every stop of their 1964 and 1965 American tours.
Kane wrote three books about his days with the iconic band: Ticket to Ride, and The New York Times bestseller Lennon Revealed. His third Beatles book came out earlier this summer — When They Were Boys: The True Story of the Beatles’ Rise to the Top (Running Press).
During the Huntingdon Valley Library brunch on January 5, Kane will speak about When They Were Boys. Brunch tickets are available for $25 a person and are available via the library’s website, http://www.hvlibrary.org or at the library. Every family or individual ticket holder will receive a free copy of When They Were Boys as the Library’s special thank you, and Kane will sign copies after his presentation. Seating is limited, so reserve one soon by calling the Library at 215-947-5138 or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A bit of our history:
The Huntingdon Valley Library dates back to 1871. It was located on Huntingdon Pike near the present Gulf Station. The second library was formed in 1919 by the Community Club. All the volumes were donated. The Community Club ran fund raising movies and minstrel shows to keep the library going. After a few years, due to the lack of funds and volunteers, the library closed.
In 1953, the Women’s Club of Huntingdon Valley started the third library as a community project. The collection consisted of donated books. Yerkes Cleaners cleared a shelf in their cleaning establishment to house the books. Soon the library’s growth necessitated a move to a rented house on Huntingdon Pike. The Women’s Club formed a Library Committee and staffed the library with volunteers. Residents in the area paid the rent.
In 1961, referendum was passed, and the library was incorporated as a non-profit organization with a Board of Trustees. Two years later; the library found a new home in the former Memorial Baptist Church where it stayed until an addition was built on the old Red Lion School site located across the street. The library moved into the new facility in April, 1995.